weight ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Healthy Lunch Ideas!

At our last Weight Watchers meeting, our leader encouraged us to try new foods because even though some people can stay on the plan by eating the same thing day after day, it's good to change up your foods so that you are getting a wider variety nutrients from different foods that your body needs.  I saw just a few minutes of a Dr. Oz episode with a guest that thinks Dr. Oz is wrong about most things and the guest ate a high protein, low-to-no carb diet and really had very little veggies and no fruit (from what I could see since they showed a days worth of food).  The kicker was, this guy just wrote a book but he refused to have his cholesterol tested and doesn't even know, supposedly, what his numbers are!  Dr. Oz remarked that even though you can play with your body's chemistry and lose weight on that type of diet, you are missing out on vital nutrients that have been proven to reduce risk of certain diseases and cancer so to eliminate those from your diet is a big mistake.  Just like the HCG diet, sure you can lose weight eating 500 calories a day because you are playing with your body's chemistry but long term if your goal is to be healthy and keep the weight off, that diet is not sustainable.  Plus, a diet that tells you not to exercise for a period of time, huh?  I think that diet has appealed to Americans need to be skinny as quickly as possible and not necessarily be healthy long term.  I really don't need to be a size 2 or 4 if it means I'm starving myself or limiting exercise but a size 6 or 8 would be nice!

Anyways, back to why I wrote this post!  I basically eat the same few lunches- black bean soup, salad with grilled chicken, or a BLT made fairly healthy.  I want to mix it up this next week so here are a couple great links for lunch ideas:

1)  Cooking Light- 22 Healthy Lunch Ideas
Here's the two that I think I'll try this week:

-Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Raisins
-Chipotle Pork and Avocado Wraps

Roni of Ronisweigh.com has great podcasts on her personal blog and also has a food blog called GreenLiteBites.  I want to try any of the panini's (they all look so good, can't decide which one to decide first!) and since I've never tried cooking portabello mushrooms, I want to try out her recipe Cheddar Pepper Stuffed Portabello Burgers for dinner soon!  Most of the recipes I want to try I'd probably make for lunches at home and I'm terrible about planning a Monday-Friday menu and kind of just winging it on the weekends which leads to eating way over my points for two solid days so it'll be nice to have some weekend lunches planned.

Do you have work-lunch ideas or at home lunch ideas?  I'd love to hear what you are eating!

1 comment:

  1. I just ate may breakfast, but this made me hungry angry. Thanks for the healthy lunch ideas. I hope to have this later.

    ReplyDelete