weight ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chubby Girl in the Skinny Girl's Clothes! This Momma Needs a Style Makeover!

This last week I shipped my final box of maternity clothes off after selling more than 35 items on Ebay.  So they are all gone, all of it!  I really had a good time going through them and remembering times when I wore a certain dress to a wedding or the shirt I wore to my baby shower.  I truly miss maternity jeans.  How nice is it that when they finally hit my problem area (my flabby stomach) there was just a piece of stretch material that kept it all in!  Why can't they just do that with all jeans?!

So I bought this outfit (minus the shoes) from Banana Republic with some of the money from those clothes:
Here, the dress has wider straps and with a large chest I need to wear a regular underwire bra and only if it's a formal even do I pull out a strapless corset.  Also, I watch the material content, is is stretchy (because if that garment plans on stretching across my doughy stomach or thick thighs, I will not be a happy camper!).  But then the package arrives, I try it on, and well, it's cute but looks NOTHING like the picture.  And duh, I don't have long slender legs and a sleek body but I wanted it to look a little better than it did.  For a little while, I shopped at Torrid since it was the first national plus size store in our state.  But you know what, I honestly can't relate to the models and the outfits they put together.  It's just not me.   My friend wears a lot of their stuff and she always looks cute but I just can't pull it off. 

I'm seriously thinking of starting a blog called chubby girl in skinny people's clothes.  Why?  Because I do not have an eye for style so I typically will just buy the outfit as I see it on the model making sure I'm looking at key features that flatter my body.  I'd love to see how girls my size (16 at the moment) are making clothes work for them to wear to the office, lunch with friends, on a date with their husband, etc.
I've read several chubby girl style blogs and a lot of them have outfits that well, my clients would not take me serious at all in, and since I don't go "clubbin'" anymore, they just have no business in my wardrobe.  I'm trying to find a style that is more business casual and can be dressed up or down for an almost 30 year old.  Any blogs or websites you all read out there?  Any favorite clothing stores I should check out?   This momma needs to get some of her sassy-ness back ASAP!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Brandi,

    I just came across your blog while searching google for "how to mix my love of baking and my weight loss goals" (haha, rrrright), and while your blog isn't exactly what I was looking for it has really inspired me.

    I'm currently working on my weight loss goals too (I'm currently a size 16), and have similar issues with clothing. I look at skinny people clothes and always think they will look as good on me as they do on the mannequin (Im in denial about my body), and then am discouraged when they don't fit the way I expect. I've found that I'm happiest in a really good pair of long dark jeans, heels (because heels work your calf muscles!) and a nice blouse with a cardigan. I need to look professional, but I don't want to look old or dowdy or like a fat person who has just conceded to being fat either, so jeans are a good middle ground for me. When I absolutely have to wear a skirt or dress, I found a great black pencil skirt that will go with all of my blouses and I'm set.

    I hope you're able to find your own style too, and really make it comfortable for you. Good luck on all of your goals, and again, thank you for not being afraid to post what you're going through because it really inspired me.

    Thanks,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I loved your google search:)

    You are so right on with dark jeans and heels. I haven't worn heels since pre-pregnancy and flats just aren't as flattering! Any jeans you love? I found some at Gap that are back ordered until June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Maurice's, especially for jeans. I'm not sure if you have one near you, but they do have a website to order from. Their jeans fit me well (size 18-ish) and they offer long inseams, which is a huge plus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have Maurice's but I'll definitely check out their store online!! thanks Jodie!

    ReplyDelete