weight ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Recipe: Penne with Italian Turkey Sausage and Vegetables

I can't even remember how I first found the site oduamy.com but I mostly just read her reviews of Cooking Light recipes and it was so nice to hear an honest opinion about the meal before I bought all the ingredients, spent an hour chopping and dicing ingredients, only to have it taste like....blah yuckity yuck!
The following recipe is my all time favorite meal!   Here is the link to the original recipe but I have made some slight changes and in some areas doubled it to make twice as many servings.  I will always remember making this for when Monkey and his Brother G came to live with us.  Their mom said G liked mashed potatoes, meat loaf and fried potatoes and well, that just wasn't going to cut it in my house.  I owed it to them to give them healthy and delicious meals.  G ate 2 bowls of this!  He had already been to another foster home for a week prior and that foster mom said he was picky but loved fruit loops?!  If you are really trying to watch your calories, I have served this with spaghetti squash instead of penne and did not combine the sauce with the noodles, but just spooned it on top!  If you don't like or don't have one of the veggies, it still tastes great to substitute or omit.  My husband brought home a cucumber instead of a zucchini yesterday, so that ingredient was omitted last night!  I often serve this for company!
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients

  • 1 pound  hot Italian turkey sausage ( I love Foster Farms!)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2  cup  chopped red onion ( I use less or more onion depending on my mood!)
  • 1  garlic clove, minced
  • 2  cup  mushrooms, quartered
  • 1  small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 1  small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 1  small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1  (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
  • 1 Cup premade spaghetti sauce ( I use Prego's Roasted Garlic and Parmesan)
  • 1/4  cup  fat-free or light sour cream
  • 8  cups  hot cooked penne (I use a 1 lb package and just use all of it once it's cooked!)
  • 1/4  teaspoon  black pepper

Preparation

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini; saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is done. Stir in tomatoes and premade sauce; cover and cook over medium-low heat 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Add pasta and black pepper; stir well. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Add hot cooked pasta and combine!  This recipe is awesome as leftovers and the portions are huge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment